Monday, February 15, 2010

Less Talk More Music Pt. 4

Once again there's not a whole lot to talk about here in YankeeBoy land. The job search is plodding along and although I've gotten a few calls from recruiters, nothing much more than vague half-promises has materialized so far. For the most part I try to avoid paying too much attention to the news as it just aggravates me, and besides there is nothing I can do about any of it. So for now I really don't have any pearls of wisdom to share so just enjoy the music. And please leave comments - good bad or indifferent. I love getting feedback - even when people disagree with me.

One last thing. I've switched from Sharebee to Multiupload. From my side it's more reliable and easier to keep track of things. I've not heard any complaints so I'm guessing that for you downloaders it's working out as well.

Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue
Leading off this go round is one of my all-time favorite ballads and a Top-5 hit for Dorothy Moore. We've all felt this way at one time or other, especially around Valentine's Day.
Big Danny Oliver - Sapphire
"Sapphire" has appeared on a number of R&B comps over the years and it's also found its way onto a few of my own Ipod playlists. Whenever I'm walking around town and this song comes on it always puts a little extra bounce into my step.
The Gurus - It Just Won't Be That Way
"It Just Won't Be That Way" was originally an album track by The Critters before it was recorded by The Gurus for their second single, following up their minor hit "Blue Snow Night" on United Artists.
Dale Hawkin - Wild Wild World
The Knack - Just Wait And See
Sadly, this is the memorial section of the post. Since my last playlist our R&R community has lost two of its members to cancer. Dale Hawkins is mostly known for his 1957 Top-40 hit "Suzie Q" which can be found, along with "Wild Wild World" on the Ace Records CD "Rock and Roll Tornado". Doug Fieger was the main force behind The Knack who are also, somewhat unfairly, thought of by many as being a one-hit wonder, that hit being "My Sharona". "Just Wait..." is just one of a number of stellar power pop tracks they recorded over their career and is from one of their later albums "Round Trip" which is unfortunately out of print at the moment.
Dorothy Berry - Ain't That Love
Dorothy is best known for her remake of the Falcons' hit "You're So Fine" but this is another Northern Soul pounder that is just as worthy of attention.
The Humane Society - Knock Knock
This moody garage classic has been on a number of compilations over the years, most notably the Rhino Nuggets Box that came out a few years ago.
Joyside - I Don't Care About Your Society
About a month ago I saw this incredible documentary about the Punk scene in Beijing called "Beijing Bubbles" and Joyside were, in my opinion, the best of the 4 or 5 bands featured. While some of their lyrics might sound quaint or passe to our jaded Western ears, considering the society in which they live, there is a lot more on the line for these guys than there ever was for their U.S. or U.K. counterparts.
The Royal Guardsmen - Leaving Me
This was the original flip side to their first single, a remake of the Young Rascals song "Baby Let's Wait" which went absolutely nowhere. After all of their "Snoopy..." hits "BLW" was released as a single again with a different B-side. Too bad as this is easily their most garage-y and best record.
The Olympics - Baby Do The Philly Dog
From the late-50's thru the mid-60's The Olympics were no strangers to the Billboard Hot 100. "...Philly Dog" is a big favorite among soul DJ's and it was also their last chart entry from the fall of 1966.
Andy & David Williams - I'll Love You
Being the son and nephew of singer Andy Williams, these younguns were all primed and ready to be America's next favorite cutie pies back in the early 70's. I'm not sure if it ever worked out that way for them but they did leave a few nice records in their wake and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this one. It may be a bit too sugary for some of my regular visitors so consider this my nod to Valentines Day.
The Artesians - Koko Joe
"Koko Joe" has been done many times but this is possibly the most rockin' version ever. Surpisingly, it was never released at the time but can be found now in all it's Hi-Fi glory on Norton's "Stomp! Northwest Killers Vol. 1 1960-1964.
Richard Berry - Baby Please Come Home
RB is best known for writing the Frat Rock classics "Have Love Will Travel" and "Louie Louie". While "Baby..." is more standard R&B fare for the period, Richard manages to leave his distinctive mark, especially towards the end of the song.
Mickey & Ludella - That Look You Gave To Me
Mickey & Ludella are part of that whole Medway group of musicians influenced by and involved with Billy Childish, who may even be playing somewhere on these sessions.
Frederick Delius w/Andre Kostelanetz (cond.) - On Hearing The First Cuckoo In Spring
Frederick Delius was a German-English composer of the late 19th and early 20th century. Unlike many of the Classical composers of the previous few generations, his music is much more impressionistic. It relies on setting an atmosphere more than having an identifiable, hummable melody. Personally I find it very relaxing to close my eyes and let myself be carried away on the gentle waves of sound.

No comments: