Sunday, January 8, 2012

Land of the Rich and Privileged

I wish I were rich enough to be a Republican. I like to think I wouldn't be one but it would be nice to have that option. Seeing as how it is very unlikely that I will vote anything but straight Democratic in the next presidential election I haven't been paying too much attention to the Republican debates. But what I have been hearing scares the crap out of me. The ignorance and the smugness. And the thing that scares me the most is that these raving idiots are being taken seriously by people - people who have the power to vote and keep these evil bastards in office. And so many folks are like sheep and they follow them. All it seems to take is a 30-second soundbite calling their opponent a tax-and-spend liberal and referring to universal health care as Obamacare and voters are eating out of the palms of their hands. Not that most Democrats are likely that much better. They must cow tow to the same lobbyists for the big campaign bucks as their counterparts. But in most cases I think they still have some desire to do the right thing. I still believe Obama is a good man trying his best to fix this broken country. And I still think he talks common sense most of the time. His biggest fault is that maybe he is too nice and needs to toughen up. I sincerely hope he can do that and that he gets the chance to for the next 4 years.

Another Sunny Day - I'm In Love With A Girl Who Doesn't Know I Exist
Along with Roky Erickson's "Nothing In Return",this song perfectly captures that desolate lonely feeling that only an unrequited love can bring.
Billy Rainsford - Magnolia
Until I found this song on an old comp of bluesy 50's R&B I hadn't the slightest inkling that Mr. Rainsford even existed let alone have come up with such a gem as this. It just goes to show how much amazing music is still out there waiting to be discovered. It's a beautiful thing!
The Bedlam Four - No One to Love
I believe this is the same Minnesota combo who did "Hydrogen Atom" which has been comped a few times. This song, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to be reissued. Certainly it's not due to unworthiness.
Jimmy Jones - I Want Action
Listening to his vocal I'm quite sure that this is not the "Handy Man" Jimmy Jones, but I really know nothing else about him other than that this record came out on the Twinight label out of Chicago.
The Clovers - Down In The Alley

Changity changity changity changity chang chang. This has always been one of my favorite Clovers records and one that you don't hear all that often these days.
Simon Dupree & The Big Sound - Reservations
This was a single for these guys in 1967 on Parlophone Records. In 1969 they split up with a few of their members forming prog rockers Gentle Giant.
Pat Benetar - I Need A Lover
Back in the punk era Pat Benetar was considered to be everything that was prefabricated and corporate and wrong with Rock & Roll music - at least in my circle. These days she doesn't sound bad at all and I've always liked this song - even when it wasn't cool to do so.
The Mods - I Give You an Inch (and You Take a Mile)
According to the Garage database, there were around 15 bands calling themselves The Mods. The Mods who recorded this snarly classic came from Toledo, Ohio.
Thelma Houston - Jumpin' Jack Flash
Of course it goes without saying that the definitive version of this song will always be The Rolling Stones' original, but I like Thelma's as well.
Dean Carter - Mary Sue
Dean is mainly known for his oft-comped totally over the top version of "Jailhouse Rock" but as his "Call of the Wild" CD definitely proved, there was a whole lot more craziness where that came from.
Chuck Brookes - Spinning My Wheels
I first became familiar with this song when The A-Bones started covering it some 20-odd years ago. Their version is pretty similar to Chuck's original.
Richard X. Heyman - Falling Away
Until I looked him up on Wikipedia I had no idea this guy had 7 albums under his belt. I may have heard bits and pieces of a few of them but this song is my favorite of what I have heard so far.
Sir Winston and The Commons - We're Gonna Love

Another 60s Garage favorite that was introduced to the world on Back From The Grave Vol. 3.
Bob Dylan - Can't Help Falling In Love
After Dylan signed with Asylum Records for 2 albums Columbia Records, where he'd been recording since 1962, decided to "punish" him by releasing the "Dylan" album which contained outtakes considered not worthy of release at the time they were recorded. I've always loved his version of "Can't Help..." from that album.
The Rogues - You Better Look Now
Here's a little minor-key jangly folk rock courtesy of our friends who released the "Teenage Shutdown" series. I think this was on Volume 5.
Rufus Thomas - Crazy 'Bout You Baby
Way before he recorded "Walkin' the Dog" for Stax, Rufus Thomas recorded a whole slew of jump R&B sides for Sam Phillips' Sun label. This was one of them.
Mose Allison - Your Molecular Structure
Mose Allison has always been a favorite artist of mine. I love that little spark of mischief in his songs. In an article I read once the author said that he sang "with a twinkle in his eye" and nowhere is that more apparent than on this particular song.

Like a river flows, surely to the sea

9 comments:

dj trish said...

Oh Gosh I so agree with you about Obama.
I used to be a straight line republican but Newt..OK I forgive him for cheating on his wives but I would not trust him to run our country.I mean leaving one wife is bad enough but he cheated on both wives for the same reason,and folks want him to run our country??check one, two.???OK sorry for venting but I had to.The republicans are not the same as when Reagan was around.There's just too much meanness in politics anymore!
Well anyway if you want to read my blog I posted some nice pics and videos I took!
Enjoy!
Trish

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more, YB. People do swallow those soundbites and the spin that minders and PR firms and speechwriters put on all of the important issues.

I'm Canadian, so maybe I should keep my big mouth shut, but what happens politically in the U.S., also impacts us. After all, Ottawa has always been in bed with Washington (despite their protestations to the contrary.) The right-wing, red-necked Harper government is just biding its time before it can hook arms again with the Republicans.

Have you ever read a book called 'The Shock Doctrine' by Naomi Klein? You might find it interesting.

YankeeBoy said...

Trish: Please post a link to your blog.

Rhythm: I haven't read that book yet but it definitely sounds worth checking out.

Anonymous said...

I should have left this with the first comment, YB:

http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine

dj trish said...

OK here it is
www.djtrishm.blogspot.com
Happy reading!

Glenn said...

I'm a glutton for punishment... http://rebornintyme.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

The two party system is broken, it's time to send them a message. There is another option, and it's a damn good one... Gary Johnson!

Ice Cream Man said...

Hey Yankeeboy, great blog you have here with a great diversity of music on it, many of my favourite bands are kicking about here!!!!! Thanks for your comment on my blog....and I will get back to you with all the info as soon as.
Best wishes, Rick.
http://icecreamman1967.blogspot.se/

Anonymous said...

Hey, Yankeeboy! I hope you get back to blogging soon, as I enjoyed reading your posts.