Saturday, December 20, 2008

Less Talk More Music Pt. 2

Not a whole heck of a lot's been going on in my life lately and sometimes the less said about it the better.  I still haven't found a job although I have had a few potential nibbles. And even if none of those pan out, as I take stock of my life this holiday season I realize that things could be much worse. And are for a whole lot of folks. So for now I'm going to let the music do the talking. Enjoy, go out and buy something and leave comments.

The Unrelated Segments - The Story of My Life
This song's been comped a number of times over the years. This stereo mix comes, I believe, from a Collectables CD issued a few years ago. Despite it's lack of collectability,  "Story..." still gives me an adrenaline rush each time I hear it. Crank it up!
Lucinda Williams - Passionate Kisses
As an White, middle class American I realize that I feel a certain sense of entitlement in my view of the world. It's been ingrained in me for my entire life. This isn't a judgement or a guilt trip but a statement of fact. Lucinda touches on that feeling in "...Kisses" and, for better or worse, I can totally relate to how she feels - or maybe it's just how I perceive it.
Goh Nakamura - Somewhere
I forget which one it was but I became a fan of Goh Nakamura when another blog I frequent featured his new CD "Ulysses" as it's pick of the day. Although he doesn't really sound anything like them, his temperament reminds me of artists like John Sebastian or Steve Forbert. Check out his website where he is allowing folks to download his new album for free. 
Lyn Collins - Rock Me Again & Again & Again
Produced by the late James Brown as only he could, this has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it back in the mid 70s. You can hear more on the highly recommended 2-disc collection "James Brown's Originally Funky Divas".
The Parasites - Crazy
Just like in the 60s when young musicians heard The Beatles and The Stones and started their own garage bands, so it seems The Parasites were similarly inspired when they heard The Buzzcocks years later.  
The Quests - Come on Down To My Boat
As almost any fan of the genre knows by now, back in the 60s garage bands were not only popping up in the US and Europe but also in some of the more remote (at least for the times) corners of the world. The Quests hailed from Singapore and here they turn in a rockin' version of  Every Mother's Son's Top 10 smash.
Redd Kross - Annie's Gone
Awhile back I posted a song by Redd Kross. This is taken from the same album "Third Eye" which is, in my opinion their best. Whenever I hear "Annie's Gone" I imagine it's about a friend who committed suicide, there's just such an intensity about it.  
Jimmy Shaw - Take A Chance On Me
Jimmy was one of many who was inspired by Little Richard to make a little noise of his own. I know absolutely nothing about the singer or this particular record besides the fact that I totally love it. As usual, if anyone has any more info, please feel free to leave a comment.
The Fuzztones - Bad News Travel Fast
The Tryfles - Had Enough Of Your Lies
Back in the 80s there was a huge Garage Band scene here in NYC and The Dive, a little hole-in-the-wall club on W. 29 St., was the center of the action until it closed in May of 1986. Both The Tryfles and The Fuzztones were mainstays of that scene and could be seen playing there almost every week.  
The Tombstones - I Want You
Back in those 80s Garage days a big part of the fun, especially for record nuts like myself, was keeping up with all of the comps of original and rare 60s garage 45s put out by some of the major collectors. In fact, many of the comps became famous in their own right and none were more reknown than the "Back From The Grave" series which specialized in only the wildest of vintage sounds.  The Tombstones from Greensville, South Carolina may not have found fame and fortune in the 60s but they were immortalized forever on BFTG which, even today, is still seen by some as the holy grail of garage.  
Matthew Sweet - Happiness
Along with Teenage Fanclub, Matthew Sweet has this talent for writing incredibly perfect pop songs with just the right combination of innocent wistfulness and rockin'  backbeat that leave the listener wanting more when it's over.   
John & Jackie - Little Girl
I, like many I'm sure, first heard this song on the "Las Vegas Grind" collection which came out in the late 80s. Not surprisingly, John and Jackie saw very little radio airplay with this orgasmic little nugget. 
The Counsellors - I'll Be Your Man
Although they are not nearly as well known as some of their contemporaries such as Q65 and The Outsiders, the Counsellors have cooked up a tasty tidbit of mid-60s Dutch R&B.
Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island
The list of musicians that Herbie Hancock has played with reads like a Who's Who of Jazz. His story is way too long to give it justice here so all who are interested can read more about him on Wikipedia. "Cantaloupe Island" is one of his earlier and more well known compositions. 

2 comments:

Devon Reed said...

Don't forget to check out Matthew Sweet's song on The Bigtop soundtrack!

YankeeBoy said...

Thanks, I just did. It's available on Emusic. Great song!